Monday, May 11, 2009

the writings on the stall


So something that  has always intrigued me are the things people write on bathroom walls. I mean seriously, do you always have a sharpie handy to scribble down what's on your mind? Don't get me wrong, I find it thoroughly entertaining; it especially came in handy that one time I got locked/stuck inside one of the stalls in Griffin. 

Yet, who really writes this stuff? I've never felt the urge to jot down my innermost feelings. Ask a question. And I've certainly never been looking for a good time and thought putting my name and number up there would be the best way to find it. Take the 4th floor bathrooms in Griffin. As your eyes scan the small 3 walls of the stall, you'll find a wide variety of writings from different people. However, if you pay close enough attention, most of these "authors" can't spell very well. (maybe there's a connection....)

Come to find out, there is actually a name for this: latrinalia, or graffiti found in latrines. If you really think about it though, there's got to be more to this "art" than someone being bored. Sometimes you'll find confessions, dreams, hopes, aspirations...maybe someone wants the world to know what they're really feeling. Even if that world is limited to the frequenters of, oh say the 4th floor Griffin bathroom. Maybe, somehow, writing it down makes it real. I kind of equate it to Post Secret, but maybe that's just me.

But enough of me pondering the writings on the stalls, here are some of my favorites:

"It's nice to be important, but it's even more important to be nice."
(simple but true)

"Tiffany 337-481-3478-Call for a good time!"
(why would you put this in a bathroom? a girl's bathroom to say the least?)

"I cheated for him and he used me. I almost lost my husband and child over it."
(seriously, who writes that?)
 
"Sorority girls are ugly!"
followed by
"Sorry I have a life and you don't."
followed by
"At least I don't have to pay dues for mine."
(burn...i love it. all time favorite i think.)

Yea, so maybe this doesn't interest you. Maybe it does. I find it hilarious, sad, and intriguing all at the same time.

And who knows? Maybe one day I'll actually call Tiffany to see what constitutes a good time.

P.S.: If you want more, check out this place- http://www.thewritingsonthestall.com/

1 comment:

  1. "And who knows? Maybe one day I'll actually call Tiffany to see what constitutes a good time."
    -that's hilarious.
    you are brilliant, sarah jaye.
    keep the posts coming!

    ReplyDelete